By: Gbenga Matthew SALAMI, https://goldvendor.com.ng
Just almost noon today. I was on my website intelligently working on my write-ups. I heard a strange sound right from my gate. Mentally I paused, asked myself; What could that be? Thinking about this and at the same time engaging my eyebrow sideways on the computer system.
“Swooshing… ” This was the sound of wind speed I heard at distance. I quickly jumped up, rushed to my sitting room to close the main windows.
Suddenly, this poisonous snake dropped from my window blind pole. As fast as possible, I quickly stepped aside. It ran under my three sitter chair. I quickly ran to my bedroom and kitchen doors to lock them.
Still on this scene, I picked up my cutlass thinking about how I could reach out to people and at the same time trying to figure out where the snake could be hiding, perhaps, it’s not under the three sitter chair as perceived.
While I was ruminating upon all these, in a jiffy, I saw it climbing the iron of my sitting room burglary. With my cutlass, I beheaded it against the main iron beam. You’ll see its neck on the iron beam, with its body on the three sitter chair, also with part of my cutlass as posted. This is reality.
1. This is dry season and the whether is hot. Reptiles are looking for cold places to hide themselves. Do close all entrance to your household, especially, windows without net if there is any.
2. All useless holes in your household if any should be closed.
3. In the night, always hand out with your touch light to the toilet, also to short distances around your home.
4. Before you sit on your toilet (water closet ‘WC’), open it and view well, as snake might have been hiding somewhere.
5. Ensure your surroundings are always clean and not bushy to prevent reptiles of any kind.
6. Men should endeavour to help their wives decongest their stores and kitchen once in a blue moon to prevent reptiles from hiding in those dark places. Men must not be too far from their households for safety of their wives and children.
7. Do not live your life like a log of wood. Pray to God daily for guidance and be a good observer in all things.
BEWARE. IT IS SNAKE SEASON!
DUE TO THE HEATWAVE AND HIGH TEMPERATURES CURRENTLY IN NIGERIA, SNAKES, ESPECIALLY COBRAS, SEEK REFUGE IN COOLER PLACES LIKE INSIDE HOMES.
1. Avoid leaving windows open for too long. Cobras and Mambas can reach heights that are very high.
2. Avoid leaving your front doors open for fresh air in the evenings. These reptiles are absolutely STEALTHY (too quiet). You won’t hear or see them go inside your house.
3 Before sitting under the tree that has that cooling shade, check the branches that there are no snakes lurking in the branches.
4. Check your bed and surrounding before you go to bed, cobras are notorious for hiding under the sheets.
5. Avoid the age old trend of liking to chill outside of the house, with mattresses and wrappers in the evening. Most reptiles are nocturnal (hunt at night and more effective)
6. Not only snakes might bite you, but also the age old human enemy; the centipede (Mosithaphala), which is fast and very venomous.
7. Clear bushes round your house. They attract rats and mice which are the favourite snacks of the most dangerous snake’s favorite meal.
8. Buy snake repellent powder and pour it round your yard. You will definitely decrease the chances of a snake ever visiting your home by 90%.
Beware of confronting snakes that get into your homes. Some snakes can be killed easily, others like the black mamba are very cocky. If threatened, they will chase you at an alarming speed and give multiple bites while still on the chase; and bitten victims may not live to see the next forty minutes. So, just be very careful when trying to kill those snakes.
Stay well and be safe. It’s snake season. It’s very hot and they are highly active and get agitated and angry very fast.
Keep sharing as you may be saving lives.
Please do have a wonderful day!!!